How to have a fun, pet-friendly home
For many of us, our house just isn’t a home without our pets! They’re not just animals – they're cherished members of our families. So it only makes sense that “home sweet home” is not only comfortable for us but also safe and accommodating for our furry friends. From choosing the right materials to arranging furniture, you have plenty of design considerations and safety measures at your disposal to transform your living space into a pet-friendly haven. Plus, with products like the PetStop RoomWizard™, you can safely keep some areas off limits to curious cats and dogs! Here are some tips to keep your house safe for everyone:
- Choose Durable and Easy-to-Clean Materials: We all know pets bring chaos and messes wherever they go! When purchasing furniture, choose materials that are durable and easy to clean, such as stain-resistant fabrics for upholstery and rugs. Leather and synthetic materials tend to be more pet-friendly than delicate fabrics that can trap fur and absorb odors.
- Pet-Proof Your Flooring: From ever-present pet hair to those inevitable accidents, pets can do a number on your flooring. Hardwood floors, tile, and laminate are excellent choices for pet-friendly homes, as they are resistant to scratches and stains. If you prefer carpeting, go for stain-resistant options and choose darker colors that can better hide any accidents.
- Provide a Designated Pet Space: Create a designated area in your where your pet can feel secure and where you can have better control over their activities. This could be anything from a small room to a cozy corner with their bed, toys, and feeding station. It not only keeps your home organized but also gives your pet a sense of belonging. A tool like the RoomWizard can also temporarily enclose your pet in this space if you need to keep them occupied for a while.
- Invest in Scratch-Resistant Furniture: Cats have a natural instinct to scratch (and when they’re bored, dogs may occasionally scratch as well). Sometimes scratching posts aren’t quite enough to help pets get their fix, and that’s when they turn to furniture. There is furniture on the market with scratch-resistant upholstery that will stand up to kitty’s claws and is attractive and comfortable enough for your living room.
- Conceal Cords and Wires: Puppies and kittens are naturally curious, and cords and wires are an awfully tempting sight for them to chew on. Use cord covers or hide cords behind furniture to prevent your pets from accidentally harming themselves; consider using RoomWizard to keep pets out of offices or rooms with lots of cords.
- Choose Pet-Safe Plants: Plants bring life to a room, but some of them can prove deadly to curious cats and dogs. If you enjoy having indoor plants, ensure they are non-toxic to pets. Some common houseplants, like lilies, pothos, and philodendron, can be toxic to animals if ingested. Opt for pet-friendly plants such as spider plants, bamboo palm, or Boston ferns.
Creating a pet-friendly home is all about striking that balance between comfort, style, and safety. Your pets, after all, are members of your family, and they have an important place in your home and your life. By making thoughtful design choices, investing in pet-safe materials, and implementing safety measures, you can ensure that your home is a welcoming haven for your furry friends.